These simple Blueberry Cream Cheese Danishes are the perfect choice for either breakfast or dessert, they are especially good when warmed & paired with coffee. They actually are a result of a last minute, search out a few recipes, toss a few ingredients together, lets wing it recipe. Which of course can turn out to be masterpieces, these little guys didn’t last long at our house & I can just about guarantee they won’t last long at yours. Pretty much all of our recipes are results of looking up ideas online & finding a few we like, adding or taking away a few things & changing it to our liking, adding our southern touch to it!
Another awesome perk about these little guys is they do not take long to prepare & are best served warm, so you can take them from the oven let them cool a bit and enjoy. If you’re like me and get a bit of a slow start in the mornings, most the time looking for an easy goto, get’er done quick breakfast you’ll appreciate this recipe. They are tasty & simple, can’t beat that! The only negative thing I can say about these danishes is I don’t think they are figure friendly…LOL So if you’re watching your weight be careful with these around the house or you’ll be watching you weight alright, watching it go up! but we’ve all got to live a little right?? and trust me having one…or possibly two is definitely living it up in the Danish world, so don’t let that scale keep ya away 😉
Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish
Prep time: 10 minutes – Cook time: 20 minutes – Total time: 30 minutes
1 sheet puff pastry, unthawed
8 ounces Cream Cheese softened
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tsp Lemon juice
1/2 Tbsp milk
1/4 cup pure cane sugar
1 1/2 cup blueberries, rinsed (fresh or frozen)
1/3 cup pure cane sugar
3 Tbsp corn starch, mixed with 3-4 Tbsp cold water
1 small egg, mixed with 1 Tbsp water
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil, if you use tin foil be sure to grease it well so the danishes don’t stick.
2. In a medium bowl mix together cream cheese, vanilla, lemon juice, milk & the 1/4 cup sugar until smooth and fully combined.
3. Put blueberries in medium saucepan and fill with water until blueberries are barely submerged, bring to a boil until blueberries are soft and a few start to loose shape. Once they reach that point turn heat down to low-med, simmer them for about 5 mintues, stirring in the 1/3 cup sugar until dissolved. Mix in corn starch/water mixture, stir well, take off stove & allow to cool. (taste along the way to see if you feel your mixture needs more\less sugar)
4. Unfold puff pastry sheet & cut the square into 6 rectangles, two cuts from top to bottom and one cut across will give you 6 rectangles. (Each approx. 5 x 3 1/2 inches long) Place rectangles onto baking sheet and use a fork to prick the center of the rectangles leaving 1/2 inch boarder unpricked all the way around, pricking helps keep the center from rising. In a small bowl beat the egg and 1 Tbsp water together, brush each rectangle with egg wash.
5. Spread 1-2 Tbsp of cream cheese mixture onto each rectangle over where you pricked with a fork (I like mine heaping with cream cheese, so if you’d like less cream cheese you can add less to each pastry & then also you will have cream cheese left over so you could thaw a second puff pastry sheet out and make more danishes) Top cream cheese with 1-2 Tbsp of blueberry mixture. Once again these topping amounts are more like guidelines than rules… If you want less add less, if you want to add more go on, be my hero and add more of this awesome stuff.
6. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown around edges and bottom, rotate baking pan half way through baking so each pastry is cooked even. Transfer to cooling racks, sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired, allow to cool until just warm to the touch & then pig out!
Recipe ideas\ingredients are a collective mixture from different online sources and slightly changed to fit my liking, so feel free to change it up to whatever your tastebuds prefer!